RN - Forensic Nurse Examiner - PRN
Company: Hutchinson Regional Medical Center, Inc.
Posted on: January 26, 2023
The Forensic Nurse Examiner (FNE) will provide timely,
non-judgmental, compassionate and trauma informed care to any
sexual assault victim, perpetrator, or other person involved with
violent crime. Including a forensic exam, which will involve a head
to toe physical assessment and evidence collection and photographic
documentation. The victim of a sexual assault will also be offered
prophylaxis for pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases. All
victims will be offered referrals for appropriate medical and
psychological follow-up and supportive agencies. The FNE role will
also include participation in legal proceedings. The FNE is
expected to follow protocols established by the Medical Director
and management of the FNE Program at Hutchinson Regional Medical
* Prepares and provides orientation and performs evaluation of
personnel in the FNE program.
* Establishes annual competency and quality assurance goals.
* Prepares a monthly on call schedule. Communicates schedule needs
to provide 24/7 coverage. Maintain phone numbers to ensure up to
date and accurate.
* Maintains supplies and equipment as needed to conduct forensic
* Maintain monthly chart reviews and provide education and
correction when needed. Facilitate discussion for challenging cases
or questions from FNEs.
* Offer debriefing sessions when needed after difficult cases and
situations. Encourage self care to help prevent vicarious
* Works collaboratively with the department Director to ensure the
program has all necessary resources needed.
* Assists personnel in preparing for courtroom proceedings and
attend court room testimonies when possible.
* Communicate with Dr Keri Weeks and provide photographs and nurses
notes for all child cases with positive finding.
* Oversees and completes all paperwork required for biannual child
* Attend monthly Multidisciplinary Team (MDT) meetings on the 2nd
Monday of every month.
* Participate in monthly Peer Review meetings and present at least
one case annually as assigned by Midwest Regional CAC.
* Maintains 20 continuing education credits related to FNE annually
including a minimum of 10 hours of child maltreatment CEUs. (Peer
review counts toward these hours).
* Assists and shares knowledge of program functions to hospital
* Acts as the FNE/SART coordinator establishing quarterly meetings
and communicating with SART team members as needed to maintain
* Establishes good relationship with community resource and work
with Bright House to provide continuity of care for victims of
* RESPONSIBILITIES IN MAINTAINING CLINICAL EXPERTISE:
* Maintain current State Registered Nurse License or higher.
* Complete the initial state 40-hour course for SANE training.
* Communicate with FNE coordinator and other FNEs to debrief as
needed after difficult cases to avoid vicarious trauma and maintain
emotional and physical wellbeing.
* Maintain open communication with FNE Coordinator on a regular
* Maintain equipment in proper working condition, use proper
cleaning techniques for equipment and FNE area. Maintain fiscal
responsibility of unit's resources.
* Share experiences and personal accomplishments and expertise with
other FNE members to provide educational opportunities for the
* Maintain competency by actively performing cases at least every
six months to ensure proper procedure.
* Participate in chart and photograph review process
* Participate in quarterly SART meetings and monthly MDT
* Adhere to all administrative, clinical, and employment policies
and procedures on file with the HRMC FNE Program.
* Commit to cover minimum number of call hours, including weekend,
holidays, and other scheduling requirements as determined by the
* Participate in professional development activities including 12
hours of forensic nursing continuing education hours each year,
monthly peer reviews, staff meetings, conferences, and
* MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
* Ability to apply the basic principles of nursing.
* Possesses excellent nursing communication skills, which
demonstrate understanding of cultural, educational and age-related
* Possesses excellent nursing documentation skills.
* Demonstrated aptitude in critical thinking skills
* Ability to work independently and make autonomous decisions.
* PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
* REQUIRED BEHAVIORAL SKILLS:
* A personal presence which is characterized by a sense of honesty
and the willingness to do the right thing.
* The ability to role model, inspire and motivate others to promote
the philosophy, mission, vision, goals and values of Hutchinson
Regional Healthcare System.
* A personal presence which is characterized by a sense of caring
that is reflected in a high level of empathy and customer service
with all that we come in contact.
* Ability to manage conflict, consider other points of view, and
offer alternative solutions without jeopardizing overall project
direction and the ability to manage customer expectations.
* Demonstrated track record of ownership of situations, projects
* Able to work autonomously and have a high degree of flexibility
to adapt to changing projects, priorities and work volumes.
* Demonstrated ability to collaborate with a diverse
* Treat all internal and external customers with a positive,
proactive service orientation.
* Strong communication and presentation skills with a proven
ability to influence and lead teams to conclusion/decision
* Proven ability to think strategically but also must be able to
lead day-to-day tactical processes.
* Demonstrated ability to manage and provide coaching and
leadership on complex projects.
* Must be able to lead and/or facilitate process improvement.
* MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
* Graduate of a nursing program
* Minimum 2 years RN experience
* Completion of the 40-hour State of KS SANE Training Course
current or within 6 mos. of employment.
* PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
* BSN strongly preferred.
* Graduate of an accredited nursing program
* REQUIRED LICENSE/REGISTRATION/CERTIFICATION:
* Current Licensure as a Registered Nurse in the state of
* Current Healthcare Provider BLS through AHA or ARC before start
* PREFERRED LICENSE/REGISTRATION/CERTIFICATION:
* Establish good relationship with Law Enforcement and maintain
open communication and provide feedback when needed.
* Maintain charts and records per state and federal regulations and
* Maintain call time as required with a minimum of 36 hours of
weekend call (Friday 7:00pm-Sunday 7:00pm) and 40 hours of weekday
call each month. Holidays call will include at least one
fall/winter holiday and one spring/summer holiday each year. These
hours may be traded with another FNE if agreed upon in advance.
* The FNE is expected to respond to each case within 30 minutes to
one hour from the time of notification.
* Demonstrate the ability to triage patient and determine if
medical examination and treatment is needed before a forensic
* Coordinate care with law enforcement, advocacy agencies, and any
other services that may be necessary for the safety of the victim.
Coordination of referrals for appropriate medical and psychological
follow-up as needed for each patient.
* Accurately perform and document all aspects of the history given
by the victim about the sexual assault or violent crime.
* Perform a complete physical and forensic evidence collection
examination including Head-to-Toe assessment for trauma, detailed
genital examination, specimen and evidence collection with
documentation, and digital photography.
* Assess the need for mandatory reporting status. Reporting to the
appropriate authorities when necessary.
* Document injuries with measurements and details as accurately as
possible using photography for supporting evidence. Maintain strict
chain of custody and adhere to evidence protocols for each
* Maintain professional standards avoiding conflict of interest,
maintaining strict confidentiality, and respect for the
* Be prepared to provide testimony of facts to all cases performed
and documented as FNE and coordinate with fellow nurses and
attorneys to prepare for testifying.
* Upon completion of training and preceptorship the FNE will commit
to 2 years of practice in the HRMC FNE Program. If the FNE leaves
the Program before completion of two-years independent practice,
he/she will be responsible for reimbursing the FNE Program all
costs related to training and preceptorship.
We offer competitive pay, a generous benefit package and a reason
to be proud of what you do, every day.
Keywords: Hutchinson Regional Medical Center, Inc., Hutchinson , RN - Forensic Nurse Examiner - PRN, Healthcare , Hutchinson, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!