Water Maintenance Worker
Company: City of Hutchinson
Posted on: May 7, 2022
Job DescriptionImagine if you were given an opportunity to
connect with others who want to keep our community the most livable
and safe it can possibly be. If you like to work with your hands,
enjoy working outside and construction/repair work, you may be a
great addition to our Public Works team. Make a difference with the
City of Hutchinson!The Water Maintenance Worker performs
maintenance and repair to the City's potable water distribution
infrastructure to ensure safe drinking water and fire protection
for the citizens of Hutchinson. This employee should possess a
strong mechanical aptitude, effective communication skills, as well
as organizational and public relation skills.This is an entry-level
position; therefore, we are willing to train you on the following
skills.A DAY IN THE LIFE:
- Finds and repairs water main breaks and leaks; ensures that
utilities in the work zone are properly located and traffic control
hazards are properly mitigated. Operates heavy and other equipment
to properly excavate, perform repair work, and restore concrete,
asphalt and brick streets and driveway cuts to standards.
- Performs on-going preventative maintenance duties including
flushing and inspecting fire hydrants, and locates and properly
exercising valve stems. Repairs broken or inoperable valves and
fire hydrants as needed.
- Responds to customer complaints and concerns which may involve
low pressure or water quality (cleanliness, taste and odor). Takes
reading and water samples to troubleshoot. Cleans and disinfects
water mains and services; Tests and replaces water meters and curb
stops as needed. Maintains accurate work order records.
- Locates water mains and services for construction projects.
Adjusts meter pits and valve boxes as needed; paints fire hydrants
and sets hydrant backflow carts, and ensures the utility is
- Assists with installing new City water service valves, hydrants
and other infrastructure as needed.
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary or assigned.WHAT
YOU'LL NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL:
- EDUCATION: A high school diploma or GED is required.
- EXPERIENCE: 1-3 years of similar or related experience is
preferred. Employee is expected to have acquired the
necessaryinformation and skills to perform the job reasonably well
within 6 months of employment.
- CERTIFICATIONS/LICENSES: This employee must possess or be able
to obtain a valid Kansas Class B Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
with air brake endorsement within 90 days of appointment. A Class I
or higher Water Operator certification, and Cross Connection
knowledge are preferred. Requires Competent Person for Excavation
and Trenching and Confined Space Certification (within 1 year of
- RESIDENTIAL REQUIREMENT: Applicants must live within 25 minutes
of the City of Hutchinson Public Works facility and be able to
report to the facility within 30 minutes for after-hours emergency
- Health, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts: Medical & Dependent Care
- Retirement: KPERS & 457 Retirement Savings Plan
- Insured Disability
- Life Insurance & Optional Voluntary Life Insurance
- Death Benefit
- Service Connected Death
- Vacation Leave, Sick Leave, Wellness Day, Floating Holidays &
City Designated Holidays
- Employee Assistance ProgramThe City of Hutchinson employs over
400 employees that serve our community every day. City employees
make Hutchinson a great place to live, work, and play. We take
pride in our work and it shows. Come be a part of a workforce that
makes a difference! We're always looking for talented,
self-motivated individuals to join our team.City of Hutchinson is
an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified
candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry,
citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
Keywords: City of Hutchinson, Hutchinson , Water Maintenance Worker, Professions , Hutchinson, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!